Plant Quarantine and Pesticide Management Center, under the Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock Development has been established to regulate the potential risk on plant health arising from the international trade of the plants and plant products and to regulate the import, distribution, use and management of pesticides used for the management of the plant pests on different plants and plant products on the field and their post-harvest stage.
Government of Nepal has established Plant Quarantine and Pesticide Management Center at the central level under which there are 15 quarantine offices. There are 5 sections in the Plant Quarantine and Pesticide Management Center. They are:
- National Plant Protection Organization Section
- Plant Quarantine Regulation and Monitoring Section
- Pesticide Registration and Management Section
- Pest Risk Analysis Section
- Survey and Surveillance Section
The major Responsibilities of Plant Quarantine and Pesticide Management Center include:
- Carry out the functions of National Plant Protection Organization (NPPO)
- Act as the focal point of International Plant Protection Commission (IPPC) and implement the activities of IPPC and NPPO
- Implementation of the Plant Protection Act, 2007 and Plant Protection Regulation, 2010.
- Implementation of the Pesticides Act (1991) and Pesticides Regulation (1994) and its amendment
- Establishment and management of plant quarantine check posts.
- Implement program related Plant Health System including Plantwise
- Facilitate safe trade by reducing the risk to the plant health and biodiversity of Nepal associated with import and export of Agriculture and Forest Products.
- Jobs related to quarantine of plant and plant products.
- Formulation of policy, standards, laws and regulations for import, distribution, use and management of pesticides.
- Jobs related to import, permission and regulation of pesticides.
- Communication, co-ordination and co-operation with international organizations related to regulations and management of pesticides.
- Collection and dissemination of information related to pesticides which are either in use or banned.
- Preparation, update and keep the information on the status of national pest lists
- Pest Risk Analysis of the plant and plant products to be imported.
- Management of Emerging Pests, Invasive Species and different Quarantine Pests
- Provide emergency plant protection services on pest outbreaks